Lalgarh firing death toll rises to nine
Kolkata: With the death of an injured woman undergoing treatment here, the death toll in the January seven firing at a Lalgarh village in West Midnapore district rose to nine on Sunday.
Hospital sources said Arati Mondal, who was admitted to SSKM hospital died of her bullet wounds early today.
She was rushed to the hospital here with bullet wounds in the stomach after the firing at Netai village.
All schools in Lalgarh area will remain closed today as a protest to the killing of innocent villagers at Netai.
Another woman, injured in the firing, Gitali Adak had died of bullet wounds on Friday.
Seven persons, including two women, were killed and over 20 injured in the firing allegedly by CPI-M cadre on a crowd at Netai village in Lalgarh area in Maoist-affected West Midnapore district.
Governor MK Narayanan described January 7 as a "day of sorrow and shame" for the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog