Left accuses Mamata Banerjee of violating parliamentary norms
Kolkata: Accusing West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee of violating parliamentary norms by announcing government schemes outside the legislature, the Left Front on Friday said she would be "guilty" of leaking budget provisions if such announcements figured in the coming state budget.
"This government is violating parliamentary norms. When an assembly session has been called, the government is not allowed to make public policy decisions outside. But the chief minister is making such announcements outside the assembly," Leader of Opposition Surjya Kanta Mishra told reporters.
Earlier this week, Banerjee announced a scheme "Kanya Sree" providing for an annual scholarship of Rs 500 to all girl students studying in class 8 whose parents` annual income is less than Rs 50,000. She also announced reservation of seats for the Other Backward Classes in higher education.
"If any of the recent announcements made by the chief minister figure in the budget, it is tantamount to leaking budget provisions. These happenings are unprecedented," said Mishra, also a politburo member of LF major Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
Referring to Governor MK Narayanan`s address to the state assembly during the day, he said: "It is full of untruths."
Mishra raised a question of parliamentary propriety by alleging that the order of the governor`s speech did not tally with the printed copy of the address circulated among the members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash