Mamata asks people to keep Kolkata clean
Kolkata: Emphasising the need for a clean and green Kolkata, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday urged people to take care of the eastern metropolis.
"The government has undertaken the task of beautifying the city and to maintain its beauty it is essential that people contribute in its maintenance. It is also your duty to keep Kolkata green and clean," Banerjee said at a programme here.
Kolkata, the capital of British India till 1911 when it was also called "London of the East", is now known for its declining civic standards over the years and lack of cleanliness.
Along with urging people to safeguard public properties from theft and nuisance, Banerjee asked the people to refrain from spitting in the open.
"I have often seen people spitting out gutkha all over the places which not only makes the city dirty but also is harmful for your health. For your own and the sake of the city, please stop chewing gutkha," she said.
It has earlier been reported that spiting gutkha has been corroding the protective hoods at the base of the pillars of the iconic Howrah Bridge.
Expressing concern over waste water pouring into Ganga from various drains in the city, Banerjee said her government will soon make arrangements to ensure that waste water is treated before being drained into the river.
She also urged parliamentarians and local councillors to utilise their development funds to build infrastructure and contribute in beautifying the city and the adjoining areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video