Mamata Banerjee vows not to let terror revisit Jangalmahal
Purulia: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday accused CPI(M) and Congress of trying to bring back Maoist violence in Jangalmahal region and vowed she will not allow the Naxals to return to the area.
Banerjee, while addressing a public meeting at Kotshila in Purulia district bordering Jharkhand, highlighted the success of her government in restoring peace in Jangalmahal comprising Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore districts.
She said before her government took over 400 to 500 people used to be killed every year, including several policemen.
"Many of the families were still waiting for the return of their missing members," she said adding, however, that the days of fear were gone.
She vowed not to let the Maoists return to the region.
"Now there is peace," she said asking those gathered whether they have heard the sound of gun now. And got an overwhelming reply of "no, no" from the crowd.
"It is not the bullets, but ballots which is important," she then thundered, saying once again "we will never allow terror to return to Jangalmahal."
She also alleged that these parties were asking people to join the vote boycott call and urged them not to pay heed to such calls.
"They are asking some people to participate in the vote boycott call. Do not pay heed to them. Vote for peace and development. This is a game of the CPI(M) and the Congress," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter