Mamata Banerjee vows not to let terror revisit Jangalmahal
Purulia: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday accused CPI(M) and Congress of trying to bring back Maoist violence in Jangalmahal region and vowed she will not allow the Naxals to return to the area.
Banerjee, while addressing a public meeting at Kotshila in Purulia district bordering Jharkhand, highlighted the success of her government in restoring peace in Jangalmahal comprising Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore districts.
She said before her government took over 400 to 500 people used to be killed every year, including several policemen.
"Many of the families were still waiting for the return of their missing members," she said adding, however, that the days of fear were gone.
She vowed not to let the Maoists return to the region.
"Now there is peace," she said asking those gathered whether they have heard the sound of gun now. And got an overwhelming reply of "no, no" from the crowd.
"It is not the bullets, but ballots which is important," she then thundered, saying once again "we will never allow terror to return to Jangalmahal."
She also alleged that these parties were asking people to join the vote boycott call and urged them not to pay heed to such calls.
"They are asking some people to participate in the vote boycott call. Do not pay heed to them. Vote for peace and development. This is a game of the CPI(M) and the Congress," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report