Mamata Banerjee vows not to let terror revisit Jangalmahal
Purulia: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday accused CPI(M) and Congress of trying to bring back Maoist violence in Jangalmahal region and vowed she will not allow the Naxals to return to the area.
Banerjee, while addressing a public meeting at Kotshila in Purulia district bordering Jharkhand, highlighted the success of her government in restoring peace in Jangalmahal comprising Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore districts.
She said before her government took over 400 to 500 people used to be killed every year, including several policemen.
"Many of the families were still waiting for the return of their missing members," she said adding, however, that the days of fear were gone.
She vowed not to let the Maoists return to the region.
"Now there is peace," she said asking those gathered whether they have heard the sound of gun now. And got an overwhelming reply of "no, no" from the crowd.
"It is not the bullets, but ballots which is important," she then thundered, saying once again "we will never allow terror to return to Jangalmahal."
She also alleged that these parties were asking people to join the vote boycott call and urged them not to pay heed to such calls.
"They are asking some people to participate in the vote boycott call. Do not pay heed to them. Vote for peace and development. This is a game of the CPI(M) and the Congress," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India