Mamata cold shoulders demand for CBI probe into chitfund scam
Kolkata: Virtually cold-shouldering Opposition CPI(M)`s demand for a CBI enquiry into the Saradha chitfund scam in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said similar probes into incidents in Singur and Nandigram had not yielded results.
"There have been so many CBI probes. If there was result then I would have thought of it. There is no justice as yet in the Tapasi Malik murder case in Singur and in the killings in Nandigram," Banerjee said, replying to the debate on the Governor`s address in the Assembly.
Even in the Netai and Choto Angaria killings, CBI inquiries did not produce any result so far, she said.
"CPI(M) and Congress are brothers. They don`t have any escape route without CBI," Banerjee said.
Stating that she would not allow anyone to go scot-free for wrong doing, Banerjee said Trinamool Congress councillor Sambhunath Kow accused of killing party leader Adhir Maity at Dhapa had been arrested.
Mohammad Iqbal alias Munna was arrested for the killing of a sub-inspector of police at Garden Reach and was now on bail, she added.
Stating that TMC MP Kunal Ghosh was arrested in the the Saradha chit fund scam, she asked, "Did they (CPI-M) take any action against their partymen?"
Banerjee said her government had already given compensation of Rs 10,000 each to two lakh duped investors of Saradha and similar assistance would be given to another four lakh.
After the scandal came to light, she had announced that a Rs 500 crore corpus would be set up to indemnify duped investors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends