Mamata visits Barasat rape victim`s home, says culprit supported by CPI(M)
Kamduni (Barasat): Ten days after the brutal rape and murder of a college student in Barasat, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday visited the victim`s family and promised stringent action against the culprits.
"I was about to visit the family. What has happened is really sad and horrific. We promise stringent action against the culprits. We`ll submit chargesheet within 15 days and on behalf of the government will plea for death penalty," said Banerjee after the visit.
"The culprits who have been arrested were under the support of local CPI(M)," she claimed.
"I`ll not spell out the details of what came up in the meeting with the victim`s family. We`ll open four more police stations in the area for better vigil," she said.
Banerjee, who has often been held as intolerant to criticism by opposition, today also lost her cool when a local woman asked her a question and she retorted, "Don`t pursue the politics of CPI(M)."
"We are the only government which has ensured death penalty within 27 days of an incident in Balurgahat. I have also asked the home secretary and the chief secretary to visit the area," she said.
The Chief Minister`s visit to the victim`s house comes ten days after the incident spurring serious criticism from all sections of the society.
The college student was raped and murdered in Kamuduni area of Barasat on June 8. The brutality of the incident has not only kicked off a series of protests throughout the state, but has also prompted the State Human Rights Commission to start a suo motu enquiry.
Earlier, state food minister Jyotipriyo Mullick and Trinamool MP Nurul Islam faced public ire when they tried to compensate the victim`s family members with money. In the wake of protests, both had to leave the area.
Later, Mullick arranged a meeting in the state secretariat between the Chief Minister and the victim`s two brothers who demanded strict punishment to the guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant