Mamata welcomes apex court order on Singur land
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday welcomed the Supreme Court order staying the distribution of land acquired from farmers in Singur for the Tata Motors Nano project till a final ruling by the Calcutta High Court.
Banerjee claimed the order was in favour of the farmers and the masses.
"We on behalf of the government welcome the order of the Supreme Court. The order will go in favour of the farmers and the people," Banerjee told mediapersons here.
Elaborating on the apex court order, she said it had not stayed the process of land distribution but merely ordered that it not be done till the Calcutta High Court decision.
"Under the rules, a period of 30 days has been provided for inviting and submitting of forms as well as objections for the distribution of land. The process of distribution will be done abiding by this as well as other due procedures," said Banerjee.
The Supreme Court Wednesday stayed the return of land acquired from farmers in Singur for the Nano project till a final order on the issue by the Calcutta High Court. It added that it would not interfere in the decision.
The newly-elected Trinamool Congress government in West Bengal had passed an act to return the land acquired from farmers.
The legislation was challenged by Tatas in the Calcutta High Court, which ruled against them. The Tatas then moved the apex court.
Given the urgency of the matter, the Supreme Court also asked the Calcutta High Court to give its decision within a month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price