May be `one or two` incidents of crime against women: Mamata
Haringhata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said that there might have been "one or two incidents" of crime against women in the state and criticised political rivals and the media for claiming that they were feeling "unsafe".
"There may be one or two incidents. But that too should not happen and we are for strong action to deal with such crimes. But it is highlighted to give a wrong picture," Banerjee said at a government programme here.
Stating that those who committed crimes against women were enemies of society, the Chief Minister asked women at the programme, "Do you feel unsafe to move out on the roads in the evening?"
Several women responded with a `no`.
She said, "All brothers have the responsibility to protect the honour of their sisters.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video