May be `one or two` incidents of crime against women: Mamata
Haringhata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said that there might have been "one or two incidents" of crime against women in the state and criticised political rivals and the media for claiming that they were feeling "unsafe".
"There may be one or two incidents. But that too should not happen and we are for strong action to deal with such crimes. But it is highlighted to give a wrong picture," Banerjee said at a government programme here.
Stating that those who committed crimes against women were enemies of society, the Chief Minister asked women at the programme, "Do you feel unsafe to move out on the roads in the evening?"
Several women responded with a `no`.
She said, "All brothers have the responsibility to protect the honour of their sisters.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow
- Congress to raise Kandhamal killings in Parliament