More central forces to W Midnapore: WB govt
Midnapore: West Bengal government Saturday said
that the Centre has agreed to its plea for despatching more
forces to the Maoist-hit West Midnapore belt.
"We had sought more forces from the Centre and they
agreed to it. We are expecting additional forces from this
month itself," Chief Secretary Ardhendu Sen told reporters
here after a meeting with the District Magistrate of West
Midnapore and government officials on development issue.
However, Sen did not specify how many companies were
At present, there are 47 companies, both comprising state
and central forces, in the Maoist-affected `jangalmahal`
(forested pocket), according to a senior police officer.
The chief secretary said the three-member committee
report on the February 15 Maoist attack on Eastern Frontier
Rifles camp at Shilda, in which 24 jawans and a civilian were
killed, has been submitted to Chief Minister Buddhadeb
Sen, who took over as Chief Secretary on April 30, was
part of the three-member Shilda inquiry committee when he was
the state home secretary.
Sen, who reviewed development work in Maoist-hit areas
of the district along with the block development officers and
DM, called for fast tracking the projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray