More central forces to W Midnapore: WB govt
Midnapore: West Bengal government Saturday said
that the Centre has agreed to its plea for despatching more
forces to the Maoist-hit West Midnapore belt.
"We had sought more forces from the Centre and they
agreed to it. We are expecting additional forces from this
month itself," Chief Secretary Ardhendu Sen told reporters
here after a meeting with the District Magistrate of West
Midnapore and government officials on development issue.
However, Sen did not specify how many companies were
At present, there are 47 companies, both comprising state
and central forces, in the Maoist-affected `jangalmahal`
(forested pocket), according to a senior police officer.
The chief secretary said the three-member committee
report on the February 15 Maoist attack on Eastern Frontier
Rifles camp at Shilda, in which 24 jawans and a civilian were
killed, has been submitted to Chief Minister Buddhadeb
Sen, who took over as Chief Secretary on April 30, was
part of the three-member Shilda inquiry committee when he was
the state home secretary.
Sen, who reviewed development work in Maoist-hit areas
of the district along with the block development officers and
DM, called for fast tracking the projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- CRPF trooper killed in landslide near Vaishno Devi shrine
- Defamation case: Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- PM Narendra Modi assures round the clock assistance to flood-hit Varanasi
- How Ola, Uber allowed to run on tourist permit? HC asks govt
- Shiv Sena taunts PM Narendra Modi over arrest of Baloch leaders