Pachnanda removed to send message to govt servants: Adhir
Berhampur (West Bengal): Union minister Adhir Chowdhury on Friday alleged that the ruling Trinamool Congress was "hand in glove" with the mafia and Kolkata police chief R K Pachnanda was removed to send a message to government servants that political masters should be obeyed.
"The transfer shows that either you follow the diktat of your political masters and ministers or suffer. The police will have to work according to whims and fancies of Trinamool ministers," Chowdhury, the minister of state for railways, alleged.
"Pachnanda was removed because he tried to curb the mafia raj in Garden Reach in which Trinamool leaders and ministers are involved," he alleged.
"Top leaders of Trinamool Congress, including some ministers, are hand in glove with mafia leaders and drug peddlers of Garden Reach area.
"Everybody knows about the kind of crimes -- from women trafficking to drug peddling -- that takes place in that area," he also alleged.
He cited the example of how senior police officer Damyanti Sen was removed from her post for solving the Park Street rape case, which was termed as "fabricated" by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
The accusations were dismissed by the Trinamool Congress.
Governor M K Narayanan had said last night "I don`t know the reason why the CP has been removed. But if it has something to do with what has happened in the last few days, I think this is something that will have to be looked at very carefully.
"Clearly there is something that is wrong and we will have to look into it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur