Rly minister urges Chidambaram, Gogoi for safety
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mukul Roy on Wednesday urged Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to ensure safety and security of passengers of trains which had either been attacked or were disrupted due to violence in lower Assam.
"The situation is very grave. I spoke to Union Home Minister and the Assam Chief Minister today and apprised them of difficulties being faced by Railways in ensuring safe and smooth movement of trains to and from Assam. I urged both of them to ensure safety and security of the passengers so that we can run the trains," Roy said.
He requested for security specially in the 54 km `badly affected` area between Srirampur and Salakati railway stations so that trains held up in the area for more than 24 hours could progress towards their destinations.
Movement of goods trains were, however, restored from both ends following deployment of army in the affected areas, he said adding the stretch between Kokrajhar and Guwahati is badly affected by violence.
"Railways was trying its best to regulate movement of tarins in view of the disturbances ... We want to run the trains but the safety and security of the passengers, including those stranded, should be ensured ... The safety and security of passengers is of utmost concern and trains will ply in the affected areas keeping in view this objective," he said.
A total 71 trains were cancelled or regulated due to the on-going violence in Bodoland Territorial Autonomous District, he said adding Railways was trying to position affected trains at bigger stations so that the stranded passengers could be provided with food, water and security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan