Rural jobs drive after Durga puja: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said a special drive beginning on November 05 will boost the availability of jobs to unemployed adults under the 100 days work scheme implemented in rural areas.
"A special mission mode would be launched Nov 5 to Nov 30 in addition to the ongoing drives," Banerjee told mediapersons after holding an administrative meeting in Purulia district.
The scheme would provide 100 days of jobs to unemployed adults under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).
Criticising the central government for failing to fulfil electricity requirements in the district, Banerjee said the state government would take the initiative to provide facilities for continuous power.
"The central government was supposed to provide electricity here through one of its agencies but it has failed to do so. So, our government would provide power to below poverty line residents by December and to above poverty line inhabitants in the next six to eight months," she said.
The Chief Minister revealed plans to introduce onion farming in the arid regions of Purulia, a district in the western part of the state where the Maoists were active for long.
Banerjee also unveiled plans to open an engineering college and a slew of tourism projects.
Banerjee said a fair price medicine shop and fair price diagnostic centre, including facilities for dialysis, would also come up in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP