Suspended CPI(M) member Tapan Ghosh surrenders
Tamluk: Suspended CPI(M) district committee member Tapan Ghosh, facing murder charges and wanted in connection with violence in Nandigram, on Monday surrendered in a local court.
Tamluk district court judge Madhumanti Mitra remanded Ghosh to police custody for 14 days.
Ghosh was charged under Sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 326 (voluntarily causing hurt), 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting with deadly weapons), 149 (unlawful assembly) and 201 (causing disappearance of evidence) of IPC.
The CID had chargesheeted 87 persons for the violence when the CPI(M) `recaptured` Nandigram from the Bhumi Ucched Protirodh Committee formed to oppose the setting up of a SEZ in Nandigram.
Of them 72, had either surrendered or were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued