Shutdown in Nandigram after Trinamool leader shot dead
Kolkata: A 12-hour shutdown was observed on Wednesday in West Bengal`s Nandigram following the killing of a local Trinamool Congress leader by a group of unidentified persons.
"The shutdown is peaceful. No untoward incident has been reported so far," an officer of Nandigram police station said.
Police sources said the incident took place late Tuesday night when Nishikanta Mondal, Trinamool Congress panchayat pradhan (chief) of Sonachura village, was killed by a group of miscreants. Mondal was returning from a party meeting when he was attacked near his residence.
According to local sources, the perpetrators came from Khejuri area, a Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) stronghold in East Midnapore district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday