Somnath Chatterjee backs Justice Ganguly, says it`s easy to malign somebody
Kolkata: As the demand for justice A K Ganguly`s resignation as chairman of WBHRC gains ground, former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee on Monday said that if somebody was guilty of any misdemeanour or crime under the law, he should be punished.
"It is easy to malign somebody. Let it be proved and let him be punished. I don`t mind. I am not holding his (A K Ganguly) brief," Chatterjee said.
"Let things proceed according to law. There is something called law in this country or a mere allegation is enough?" he wondered while talking to a TV channel.
A three-judge panel of the apex court had indicted the former Supreme Court judge for "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of a sexual nature" towards a law intern.
Ganguly has so far denied all allegations against him and ruled out resigning as the head of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi