Somnath Chatterjee backs Justice Ganguly, says it`s easy to malign somebody
Kolkata: As the demand for justice A K Ganguly`s resignation as chairman of WBHRC gains ground, former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee on Monday said that if somebody was guilty of any misdemeanour or crime under the law, he should be punished.
"It is easy to malign somebody. Let it be proved and let him be punished. I don`t mind. I am not holding his (A K Ganguly) brief," Chatterjee said.
"Let things proceed according to law. There is something called law in this country or a mere allegation is enough?" he wondered while talking to a TV channel.
A three-judge panel of the apex court had indicted the former Supreme Court judge for "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of a sexual nature" towards a law intern.
Ganguly has so far denied all allegations against him and ruled out resigning as the head of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview