Sourav Ganguly demands justice for gang-rape victim
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Thursday condemned the gangrape and death of a 16-year-old girl and demanded justice.
"I don`t know what to say and why these things happen. It`s sick and pathetic... Hope the government will take strong action against it," Ganguly told a Bengali news channel.
The retired cricketer, who is being wooed by several political parties of late, demanded justice for the gangrape victim who had been brutalised twice.
The 16-year-old died at a government-run city hospital on Tuesday from burns she suffered after she allegedly tried to set herself on fire on December 23.
However, the police said the girl in a dying statement had accused the two rapists of setting her on fire.
"The culprit should get severe and very severe punishment. If somebody is helping the culprit out, then he too should be punished."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda