Supreme Court orders Kolkata’s AMRI hospital to pay Rs 5.96 cr for medical negligence
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a major ruling, the Supreme Court on Thursday asked the Kolkata-based AMRI hospital to pay a compensation of Rs 5.96 cr in a case of medical negligence in 1998.
The apex court enhanced compensation paid to NRI Dr Kunal Saha from Rs 1.73 crore to Rs 5.96 crore for the death of his wife at the age 36 in a Kolkata hospital due to maltreatment.
This is the highest compensation ever paid in the medical negligence case in India.
The three doctors, who were found guilty of medical negligence, have been directed to pay Rs 10 lakh each to Dr Kunal Saha while the rest of the money has to be paid by the management of the AMRI Hospital where Dr Anuradha Saha, herself an NRI doctor, died in May 1998.
The Kolkata-based hospital was in news when a major fire broke out there claiming 93 lives.
The hospital later grabbed headlines for delay in releasing compensation announced by the Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress government to the families of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015