Take immediate steps to prevent violence: WB Governor
Kolkata: Adopting a pro-active approach,
West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan on Thursday summoned Chief
Secretary Samar Ghosh and asked the state government to take
immediate steps on maintaining law and order and prevent
Home secretary G D Gautama and DGP N Mukherjee were
also present at the 30-minute meeting.
Gautama later told reporters at Writers` Building that
the Governor reviewed law and order and asked the government
to immediately take steps to prevent recurrence of violence
and concentrate more attention on maintaining law and order.
The Governor, shortly after suspected CPI(M) armed
cadre gunned down seven villagers at Netai village in Lalgarh
on January seven, had said it was a day of "sorrow and shame"
for the state.
"No democracy can allow such violence: no civilised
society can tolerate such wanton disregard for human lives and
no state can accept such mindless discord," he had said in a
Narayanan was briefed about measures by the state to
curb growing violence, Gautama said.
"The Governor cited no specific issues or incidents
and held a general review of the law and order situation in
the state," he said.
The meeting came close on the heels of Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee`s reply to Union Home minister P
Chidamabaram`s letter on January seven "to reschedule all
appointments and visit Delhi immediately".
"We are trying to fix up two meetings with the Home
Minister and Prime Minister between January 17 and 19," the
CM`s secretariat had said on January 12.
Earlier, the chief minister had said that he would be
able to visit Delhi only in the third week of this month.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had also said that
the killings and political clashes taking place in the state
every day were "totally unacceptable".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui