Trinamool may field FICCI secretary-general in election
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress is likely
to field FICCI secretary-general and well-known economist
Amit Mitra against state finance minister Asim Dasgupta in
the upcoming Assembly elections in West Bengal.
Mitra, who has taught in major universities in the
USA, is likely to meet Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata
Banerjee tomorrow at her Kalighat residence here to discuss
his possible candidature, TC sources said here on Sunday.
Mitra, if elected, can very well be the finance minister
of the state considering his knowledge of financial matters,
Mitra is also the chairman of an expert committee
constituted by Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee to advise the
ministry on innovative financing and implementation of
the economically unviable, but socially desired projects.
The contest is set to generate much interest as Dasgupta
is also a well-known economist and has taught the subject for
several years, but has been criticised by opposition parties
for the financial ills plaguing the state.
West Bengal Assembly elections will be held in six
phases starting April 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row