Trinamool may field FICCI secretary-general in election
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress is likely
to field FICCI secretary-general and well-known economist
Amit Mitra against state finance minister Asim Dasgupta in
the upcoming Assembly elections in West Bengal.
Mitra, who has taught in major universities in the
USA, is likely to meet Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata
Banerjee tomorrow at her Kalighat residence here to discuss
his possible candidature, TC sources said here on Sunday.
Mitra, if elected, can very well be the finance minister
of the state considering his knowledge of financial matters,
Mitra is also the chairman of an expert committee
constituted by Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee to advise the
ministry on innovative financing and implementation of
the economically unviable, but socially desired projects.
The contest is set to generate much interest as Dasgupta
is also a well-known economist and has taught the subject for
several years, but has been criticised by opposition parties
for the financial ills plaguing the state.
West Bengal Assembly elections will be held in six
phases starting April 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened