Trinamool may field FICCI secretary-general in election
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress is likely
to field FICCI secretary-general and well-known economist
Amit Mitra against state finance minister Asim Dasgupta in
the upcoming Assembly elections in West Bengal.
Mitra, who has taught in major universities in the
USA, is likely to meet Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata
Banerjee tomorrow at her Kalighat residence here to discuss
his possible candidature, TC sources said here on Sunday.
Mitra, if elected, can very well be the finance minister
of the state considering his knowledge of financial matters,
Mitra is also the chairman of an expert committee
constituted by Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee to advise the
ministry on innovative financing and implementation of
the economically unviable, but socially desired projects.
The contest is set to generate much interest as Dasgupta
is also a well-known economist and has taught the subject for
several years, but has been criticised by opposition parties
for the financial ills plaguing the state.
West Bengal Assembly elections will be held in six
phases starting April 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital