Trinamool may field FICCI secretary-general in election
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress is likely
to field FICCI secretary-general and well-known economist
Amit Mitra against state finance minister Asim Dasgupta in
the upcoming Assembly elections in West Bengal.
Mitra, who has taught in major universities in the
USA, is likely to meet Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata
Banerjee tomorrow at her Kalighat residence here to discuss
his possible candidature, TC sources said here on Sunday.
Mitra, if elected, can very well be the finance minister
of the state considering his knowledge of financial matters,
Mitra is also the chairman of an expert committee
constituted by Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee to advise the
ministry on innovative financing and implementation of
the economically unviable, but socially desired projects.
The contest is set to generate much interest as Dasgupta
is also a well-known economist and has taught the subject for
several years, but has been criticised by opposition parties
for the financial ills plaguing the state.
West Bengal Assembly elections will be held in six
phases starting April 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi