Trinamool may field FICCI secretary-general in election
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress is likely
to field FICCI secretary-general and well-known economist
Amit Mitra against state finance minister Asim Dasgupta in
the upcoming Assembly elections in West Bengal.
Mitra, who has taught in major universities in the
USA, is likely to meet Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata
Banerjee tomorrow at her Kalighat residence here to discuss
his possible candidature, TC sources said here on Sunday.
Mitra, if elected, can very well be the finance minister
of the state considering his knowledge of financial matters,
Mitra is also the chairman of an expert committee
constituted by Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee to advise the
ministry on innovative financing and implementation of
the economically unviable, but socially desired projects.
The contest is set to generate much interest as Dasgupta
is also a well-known economist and has taught the subject for
several years, but has been criticised by opposition parties
for the financial ills plaguing the state.
West Bengal Assembly elections will be held in six
phases starting April 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation