Union budget gets low key reaction from WB govt
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Thursday reacted on the Union budget in a low key with the state`s Panchayat and Rural Development Minister Subrata Mukherjee saying that it totally ignored the interest of people in rural Bengal.
"The Union budget failed to ensure any programme that can encourage and boost the rural economy in the country as a whole," Mukherjee said.
Neither Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, nor her Finance Minister Amit Mitra were available for reactions on the Union Budget.
Elaborting some features highlighted in the budget proposal, Mukherjee explained how it reduced the allocation under Geetanjali and Neeja Bhumi Neeja Griha projects despite demands for enhanced fund by the state governments.
The Union budget also ruled out the demand for enhancing minimum wages under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme which ensures 100-day`s work to poor in the villages, the minister said.
"While there was no new project or any incentive for rural Bengal, the Union budget also failed to emphasise programme to identify arsenic and fluoride contaminated areas and fight them with an enhanced allocation," Mukherjee said criticising the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?