WB: Blockade disrupts chord line traffic
Kolkata: Train services on the Eastern
Railway`s busy Howrah-Burdwan chord line remained disrupted
for more than eight hours on Monday when a group of passengers
blockaded the tracks at Baruipra protesting against the
extension of a local train to Gurap further up.
The extension of the 36011-Up/36012-Dn Baruipara local
upto Gurap was announced by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee during a function at the Howrah station yesterday in
presence of Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi.
Eastern Railway sources said the blockade began at 7.47
a.m. and continued till 4.25 pm.
West Bengal Agriculture Minister and Singur MLA
Rabindranath Bhattacharya and Eastern Railway`s Suburban
Railway Manager Maonranjan Biswas held talks with the
agitators and requested them to withdraw the blockade.
During the talks, Biswas assured that two coaches of the
12-coach EMU rake would be brought reserved for Baruipara
The blockade was withdrawn after the police arrived at
the spot and used lathis to disperse the mob in the afternoon.
Nobody was injured in the lathicharge, but two persons
were arrested, the police said.
According to railway sources, the decision to extend
the Bauipara to Gurap was in keeping with the demand of a
large number of passengers from that area.
``Eastern Railway administration had long discussion
with the people as well as Passengers? Associations on this.
Notification and advertisements regarding extension of this
train were issued by the railway well in advance,`` he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?