Women should be conscious of what they wear: TMC MP
Barasat: Reviving the age-old debate on how women should dress, actor-turned Trinamool MP Chiranjit Chakroborty on Friday said women should be "conscious" of what they wear.
"We should definitely work towards removing this stigma but again women can be a little more conscious about what they are wearing," Chiranjit told reporters at the Barasat police station where he had gone to inquire regarding an eve-teasing case.
He, however, asserted, "any act of eve-teasing should be condemned and the culprit caught and punished."
Chiranjit inquired about the progress made in the case involving a youth who was caught allegedly teasing a girl at Barasat railway station in North 24 Parganas district last night.
The girl, a resident of Banamalipur here, was returning from tuition when the accused Ramesh Das started teasing her. He was caught by people at the station and was beaten up.
The girl`s father was also present at the station, sources said.
Das was then handed over to the police, produced before a local court that remanded him to judicial custody for 14 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai