100 killed in Central African Republic clash
Bangui: Nearly 100 people were killed in days of fighting in Central African Republic between supporters of former president Francois Bozize and the forces loyal to President of Transition Michel Djotodia, the state radio reported Wednesday.
Djotodia overthrew Bozize in March and was sworn in Aug 18 as head of the transitional government. The takeover was condemned as a coup.
Citing a statement from the presidential office, the radio Wednesday said the clashes since Saturday have caused 150 or so casualties, including almost 100 people killed in the fighting and 50 injured, Xinhua reported.
Bossangoa and Bouca are among the worst hit areas northwest of the capital Bangui, it said.
Bossangoa, the home region of Bozize, has become another hotspot since the rival forces fought in the districts seen as his strongholds in Bangui last month.
While Djotodia`s Seleka fighters are trying to disarm the pro- Bozize elements, the latter seem to manoeuvre for a comeback of their leader.
Levy Yakete, spokesperson for Bozize, recently said the attacks were launched by former armymen who want to bring Bozize back for the mandate as the president elected by his people.
The Economic Community of Central African States has provided for a transitional period of 18 months, pending an election to end the crisis.
A 1,400-strong peacekeeping mission is deployed in the troubled country, which has witnessed repeated coups since independence from France in 1960.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical