13 killed, 2 miilion affected by hailstorm in Chin
Beijing: Severe hailstorms hit parts of central China, killing 13 people and leaving over 250 injured while more than 2 million people were left homeless by the extreme weather.
Nine people died and 272 others injured after a hailstorm in Dongguan City in the Guangdong Province while three people died and more than 1.1 million affected during hailstorms in the Hunan Province yesterday, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More than 2 million people have been left ravaged so far by the extreme weather which has affected 42 cities and counties in central China.
One more person was killed and over 840,000 people were affected in another round of the hailstorms later yesterday, according to the ministry of civil affairs.
More than 74,000 people had to be evacuated from their homes after 1,900 houses collapsed and 100,000 homes were battered in the Hunan province.
The hail has caused economic losses of 357 million yuan (USD 57.5 million) in the Guangdong Province.
The storm also damaged 92,300 hectares of crops, of which 14,900 hectares were destroyed completely, according to government sources.
A disaster relief fund of 1.9 million yuan (USD 305,900) as well as tents, quilts and drinking water have been distributed to those in affected areas, said the officials.
Heavy rain and hail is expected in the next three days in different parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog