23 injured as 5.9 quake hits Philippines
Manila: An earthquake of 5.9 magnitude rocked
southern Philippines on Friday, causing widespread panic and
injuring at least 23 people in different incidents, including
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology
(Phivolcs) reported that the epicentre of the tremor that hit
this afternoon was recorded west of Dinagat Islands in
At least 20 people were injured when panic struck a mall
with shoppers packed with people causing a stampede.
The incident happened in Surigao City, the provincial
capital of Surigao del Norte.
Surigao del Norte Governor Sol Matugas said 20 people were
Glass panels were also shattered but it was not
immediately clear if the damage happened as a result of the
quake or due to panicked shoppers.
Matugas said 3 others were hurt in a gymnasium where a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post