32 killed, 190 injured in Myanmar water festival
Yangon: At least 32 people were killed and 190 others injured during a water festival held on the occasion of the new year in Myanmar, state media reported Saturday.
The water festivals called "Thingyan" were held across the country from April 13 to 16, Xinhua reported citing the New Light of Myanmar daily.
During the festival, there occurred 177 incidents including murders, car accidents, fights, theft and arson among others.
However, the report said that this year`s festival saw less crimes compared to previous years, due to close supervision by officials.
Among Myanmar`s 12 festivals, the Thingyan water festival is considered the grandest since it is deemed to bring peace and prosperity to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement