32 killed, 190 injured in Myanmar water festival
Yangon: At least 32 people were killed and 190 others injured during a water festival held on the occasion of the new year in Myanmar, state media reported Saturday.
The water festivals called "Thingyan" were held across the country from April 13 to 16, Xinhua reported citing the New Light of Myanmar daily.
During the festival, there occurred 177 incidents including murders, car accidents, fights, theft and arson among others.
However, the report said that this year`s festival saw less crimes compared to previous years, due to close supervision by officials.
Among Myanmar`s 12 festivals, the Thingyan water festival is considered the grandest since it is deemed to bring peace and prosperity to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg seals deal as Lewis Hamilton crashes out in Friday Practice
- Tour de France: Chris Froome extends lead despite crash as Romain Bardet wins stage