32 killed, 190 injured in Myanmar water festival
Yangon: At least 32 people were killed and 190 others injured during a water festival held on the occasion of the new year in Myanmar, state media reported Saturday.
The water festivals called "Thingyan" were held across the country from April 13 to 16, Xinhua reported citing the New Light of Myanmar daily.
During the festival, there occurred 177 incidents including murders, car accidents, fights, theft and arson among others.
However, the report said that this year`s festival saw less crimes compared to previous years, due to close supervision by officials.
Among Myanmar`s 12 festivals, the Thingyan water festival is considered the grandest since it is deemed to bring peace and prosperity to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state