32 killed, 190 injured in Myanmar water festival
Yangon: At least 32 people were killed and 190 others injured during a water festival held on the occasion of the new year in Myanmar, state media reported Saturday.
The water festivals called "Thingyan" were held across the country from April 13 to 16, Xinhua reported citing the New Light of Myanmar daily.
During the festival, there occurred 177 incidents including murders, car accidents, fights, theft and arson among others.
However, the report said that this year`s festival saw less crimes compared to previous years, due to close supervision by officials.
Among Myanmar`s 12 festivals, the Thingyan water festival is considered the grandest since it is deemed to bring peace and prosperity to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition