44 killed, dozens injured in Syrian bombing
Cairo: At least 44 people, including six children, were killed and dozens wounded in an aerial bombardment by the Syrian regime in Aleppo city.
According to Rami Abdulrahman, the director of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, it occurred in the city`s Masaken Hanano neighbourhood.
The death toll could rise because of the seriousness of the injuries sustained by many of the wounded and the high number of missing people in the wake of the bombardment, he added.
Abdulrahman said among the dead were six children and two doctors who were working in the area, as well as volunteers who were helping the health care services.
Forces of the regime of Syrian President Bashar al Assad dropped barrels filled with explosives on the area from helicopters, using the same tactic in the neighbourhoods of Al Haidariya and Al Ahmadiya, where a market was damaged.
Syrian aircraft also attacked other towns around Aleppo, including Marea, where nine people died, more than 40 were wounded and a number of homes were destroyed.
The Observatory said that medical centres in the area are suffering from a shortage of medicines and urgent care supplies.
According to the United Nations, the Syrian conflict has resulted in the deaths of more than 100,000 people since it erupted in March 2011, but the Observatory recently raised its death toll figure to more than 125,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says