54 die in Venezuela prison riot
Caracas: At least 54 people were killed and 88 injured on Friday in a prison riot in northwest Venezuela, media reports said.
A shootout took place in Uribana prison outside Barquisimeto in Lara state after some prisoners resisted a spot check on weapons at the prison, reported Xinhua.
Explosions were heard near the prison, which currently jails 2,600 inmates, official records show.
Nineteen ambulances arrived at the scene, and a priest and a soldier were among the dead.
The Venezuelan government has not yet made any comments on the revolt.
Venezuela is one of the most violent countries in Latin America. More than 21,000 murders were registered in the country in 2012, up 15 percent from the previous year, according to international organizations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply