54 die in Venezuela prison riot
Caracas: At least 54 people were killed and 88 injured on Friday in a prison riot in northwest Venezuela, media reports said.
A shootout took place in Uribana prison outside Barquisimeto in Lara state after some prisoners resisted a spot check on weapons at the prison, reported Xinhua.
Explosions were heard near the prison, which currently jails 2,600 inmates, official records show.
Nineteen ambulances arrived at the scene, and a priest and a soldier were among the dead.
The Venezuelan government has not yet made any comments on the revolt.
Venezuela is one of the most violent countries in Latin America. More than 21,000 murders were registered in the country in 2012, up 15 percent from the previous year, according to international organizations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30