54 die in Venezuela prison riot
Caracas: At least 54 people were killed and 88 injured on Friday in a prison riot in northwest Venezuela, media reports said.
A shootout took place in Uribana prison outside Barquisimeto in Lara state after some prisoners resisted a spot check on weapons at the prison, reported Xinhua.
Explosions were heard near the prison, which currently jails 2,600 inmates, official records show.
Nineteen ambulances arrived at the scene, and a priest and a soldier were among the dead.
The Venezuelan government has not yet made any comments on the revolt.
Venezuela is one of the most violent countries in Latin America. More than 21,000 murders were registered in the country in 2012, up 15 percent from the previous year, according to international organizations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh