6,000 displaced in Italy quake
Small aftershocks continue to shake northern Italy causing evacuation of at least 6,000 people.
A 6.0-magnitude quake north of Bologna on Sunday killed seven people, injured over 50, and destroyed dozens of old buildings. The tremor was followed by at least 17 aftershocks around the region till late Monday.
Governor of Emilia-Romagna region Vasco Errani said that at least 6,000 people had been evacuated from Modena, Ferrara and Bologna - the three provinces hit the hardest by the disaster.
Most of the displaced residents, whose houses were destroyed in the quake, have been put in temporary tent camps. Some people cannot return to their homes until the buildings have been checked for safety.
Emilia-Romagna has a population of about 4.4 million and is considered one of the richest and most developed regions in Europe. It is a major centre for food and automobile production, being home for iconic Italian companies, such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, De Tomaso and Ducati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites