6,000 displaced in Italy quake
Small aftershocks continue to shake northern Italy causing evacuation of at least 6,000 people.
A 6.0-magnitude quake north of Bologna on Sunday killed seven people, injured over 50, and destroyed dozens of old buildings. The tremor was followed by at least 17 aftershocks around the region till late Monday.
Governor of Emilia-Romagna region Vasco Errani said that at least 6,000 people had been evacuated from Modena, Ferrara and Bologna - the three provinces hit the hardest by the disaster.
Most of the displaced residents, whose houses were destroyed in the quake, have been put in temporary tent camps. Some people cannot return to their homes until the buildings have been checked for safety.
Emilia-Romagna has a population of about 4.4 million and is considered one of the richest and most developed regions in Europe. It is a major centre for food and automobile production, being home for iconic Italian companies, such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, De Tomaso and Ducati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway