72,000 British families lack male role models
London: Around 72,000 families in Britain have no male parent or role models at home and are headed by a single mother, a study has found.
An official review into what caused last year`s riots spoke about the lack of good male role-models in the lives of many young people arrested for taking part in the disturbances, the Daily Mail reported.
Communities and Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles said the absence of a positive father figure was a huge problem, and often fathers who were present have severe drug and alcohol addictions and were not working.
"Clearly, we want to work towards a situation where the fathers in these families provide stability, which means getting them back to work, so they can bring money in and be a positive role model to their children," he said.
The Telegraph said that another problem the study identified among the troubled families was the large number of children, which can lead to a lack of parental attention.
At least 20 percent of the 120,000 families studied have at least five children.
Prime Minister David Cameron has launched a 448-million-pound initiative for workers from a mix of charity, council and private sector organisations, to help 120,000 "problem families" turn round their lives.
The new "troubleshooters" are working with each family individually, drawing up detailed plans with targets such as returning parents to work, stopping them from drinking or taking drugs, and ensuring the children attend school and do not behave anti-socially.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video