8,000 stranded as storm hits China island
Beijing: Tropical storm Bebinca disrupted at least 147 flights and left more than 8,000 passengers stranded at an airport in south China`s Hainan island province, officials said.
Till 10 p.m. Saturday, 110 flights were cancelled and 37 others delayed, affecting 8,200 passengers, Xinhua cited an official from the Phoenix International Airport in Sanya city as saying.
Arrangements have been made for around 6,400 passengers to stay in local hotels.
Bebinca, the first tropical storm of the year, made landfall in Qionghai city in Hainan at 11.10 am, the meteorological department said.
Train and shipping services across the Qiongzhou Strait were suspended due to the storm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda