Afghan surge is new challenge for US forces exiting Iraq
Joint Base Balad (Iraq): The US military
in Iraq faces a logistical challenge in maintaining its combat
effectiveness while giving the maximum possible support to
soldiers fighting "Obama`s war" in Afghanistan.
There are currently 115,000 American soldiers in Iraq
-- a force that dwarfs the 71,000 in Afghanistan -- but the
security situation remains volatile.
US commanders in Iraq are also grappling with a
political stalemate that has thrown a general election
originally planned for mid-January into chaos, further
complicating the military`s plans for a smooth exit of around
65,000 troops by late August and a total withdrawal by the end
President Barack Obama`s decision to send 30,000 extra
troops to Afghanistan comes amid the early stages of a
colossal operation to catalogue and ship out millions of items
of kit amassed by US forces in more than six years of war.
The equipment ranges from Humvee and MRAP fighting
vehicles and ammunition to more mundane items such as
furniture and office supplies.
Hardware, along with troops, have already made their
way to Afghanistan to help the US war effort, but logistics
officers in Iraq say Obama`s "surge" cannot be viewed in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug