Aircraft crashes in western Mexico
Morelia: An aircraft crashed near a lagoon in western Mexico but authorities did not report its size, how it went down or whether there were any casualties.
Separately, federal officials yesterday said three marines were wounded in a gunfight with suspected members of the Knights Templar drug cartel in the town of Arteaga in the restive state of Michoacan.
The state public security agency said on Twitter that the aircraft went down near the Infiernillo lagoon. The lagoon is near Arteaga but the agency said the incidents were unrelated.
The government of President Enrique Pena Nieto has deployed nearly 10,000 troops and federal police to Michoacan to combat the Knights Templar gang, which had been facing off with vigilante militias.
The marines killed Knights Templar leader Nazario "El Chayo" Moreno on March 9. Moreno had been declared dead by the previous government in 2010 but local people always believed he was still alive.
The authorities are pursuing the cartel`s other top leader, Servando "La Tuta" Gomez.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?