Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon claims suicide attack
Beirut: Jihadists claimed a deadly suicide attack against an army checkpoint in the Lebanese town of Hermel that they indicated was in retaliation for Hezbollah`s involvement in Syria`s war.
"In a blessed martyrdom (suicide) operation, the Hermel area was struck on Saturday," the Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon said on Twitter hours after the blast yesterday that killed two soldiers and a civilian.
It also posted photographs of children with amputated limbs, under the headline: "The crimes of the party of Iran (Hezbollah) in Syria".
Believed to be a franchise of Syria`s Al-Nusra Front, the arm of Al-Qaeda in the war-ravaged country, the Lebanese jihadist group recently claimed responsibility for attacks targeting Hermel and other areas of the Mediterranean country dominated by Hezbollah.
The organisation first surfaced in mid-December, when it claimed rocket attacks, also on Hermel.
Areas under Hezbollah domination in eastern Lebanon and southern Beirut have been targeted by a wave of violent attacks in recent months, since the Shiite group acknowledged it sent fighters to support President Bashar al-Assad`s troops in Syria`s war.
Until yesterday, the attacks had all killed civilians.
While Hezbollah has been the main focus of a string of attacks, many of them claimed by radical Sunni groups that oppose the Shiite movement`s role in Syria, the army has also been a target.
Extremist Sunnis see the army as taking the side of Hezbollah and other Assad allies in Lebanon`s violence, which has escalated in recent months as a result of Syria`s conflict.
Lebanon is deeply divided over the war in neighbouring Syria, with Hezbollah and its allies backing Assad and the Sunni-led opposition supporting the revolt.
Both sides of the Lebanese divide have regularly condemned such attacks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani