Al Qaeda gaining foothold in Syria: William Hague
London: UK Foreign Secretary William Hague has warned that the al Qaeda was gaining a foothold in strife-torn Syria.
According to The Sun, Hague admitted that Britain could arm rebel forces.
He spoke out after evidence emerged of the Syrian regime`s brutality, with monitors reporting at least 15 anti-government protesters were killed yesterday.
Hague said: "There is evidence al Qaeda is becoming involved. That is an alarming development."
Hague said that the world had to be ready to act if the peace plan drawn up by former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan failed.
The Foreign Secretary said all options against Syria were being considered, including military intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says