Annan urges `consequences` if no Syria cease-fire
United Nations: A UN diplomat says international envoy Kofi Annan is urging the UN Security Council to send a message to the Syrian government and the opposition that there will be consequences if they don`t comply with demands for an immediate cease-fire.
Russia and China have repeatedly blocked Western efforts to even threaten sanctions against the Syrian government.
The diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity because Annan`s videoconference briefing from Geneva on Wednesday was at a closed session, said the council should insist on implementation of its resolutions which included a strong endorsement of his six-point peace plan.
That plan calls for an immediate cease-fire and withdrawal of heavy weapons from populated areas by the Syrian government to be followed by an opposition cessation of hostilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’