Annan urges `consequences` if no Syria cease-fire
United Nations: A UN diplomat says international envoy Kofi Annan is urging the UN Security Council to send a message to the Syrian government and the opposition that there will be consequences if they don`t comply with demands for an immediate cease-fire.
Russia and China have repeatedly blocked Western efforts to even threaten sanctions against the Syrian government.
The diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity because Annan`s videoconference briefing from Geneva on Wednesday was at a closed session, said the council should insist on implementation of its resolutions which included a strong endorsement of his six-point peace plan.
That plan calls for an immediate cease-fire and withdrawal of heavy weapons from populated areas by the Syrian government to be followed by an opposition cessation of hostilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test