Annan urges `consequences` if no Syria cease-fire
United Nations: A UN diplomat says international envoy Kofi Annan is urging the UN Security Council to send a message to the Syrian government and the opposition that there will be consequences if they don`t comply with demands for an immediate cease-fire.
Russia and China have repeatedly blocked Western efforts to even threaten sanctions against the Syrian government.
The diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity because Annan`s videoconference briefing from Geneva on Wednesday was at a closed session, said the council should insist on implementation of its resolutions which included a strong endorsement of his six-point peace plan.
That plan calls for an immediate cease-fire and withdrawal of heavy weapons from populated areas by the Syrian government to be followed by an opposition cessation of hostilities.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India