Another Tibetan self-immolates in protest against Chinese rule
Washington: Now, another Tibetan man has reportedly died after setting himself on fire in a protest against China`s religious and political suppression.
The death, reported by Free Tibet and the U.S.-based Radio Free Asia, took place in Gansu province in northwestern China.
Free Tibet said the man was 22, while Radio Free Asia put his age at 19.
According to CNN, details of the death, as has been the case with other such incidents, are sketchy and difficult to verify.
Self-immolation is a common form of protest for Tibetans, who want genuine autonomy from China and accuse Beijing of repression.
Beijing rejects accusations of oppression, saying that under its rule, living standards have greatly improved for the Tibetan people.
It makes centuries-old historical claims on the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list