Anti-austerity protests in 55 Spanish cities
Madrid: Trade unions and anti-austerity groups angry at the effects of the financial crisis have held protest marches in 55 Spanish cities, calling on the government to re-think its policy of cutbacks in public services, education and health care.
Thousands marched to Madrid`s Puerta del Sol square many wearing white medical scrubs carrying banners reading "Health care is not for sale."
Today`s peaceful protests coincided with anti-fascist gatherings, including one outside El Valle de los Caidos, a giant mausoleum north of Madrid where dictator Gen. Francisco Franco is buried.
Many protesters carried tri-colour republican flags in commemoration of the democratically-elected government that Franco overthrew with the help of Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy in an internecine 1936-1939 civil war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hong Kong''s first suspected Zika case tests negative: Radio
- One policeman killed in South Kashmir
- Terrorists gun down policeman in Kashmir's Pulwama district
- BJP to hold meet with CMs' of party-ruled states, PM Modi to address concluding session
- JD(U) backs Mamata Banerjee, says resistance against Centre is growing