Argentina evacuates 25 nationals from Syria
Buenos Aires: Argentina evacuated 25 nationals from Syria on Thursday, said the Foreign Ministry.
The evacuees had been relocated to the Lebanese capital of Beirut, where they were temporarily lodged at a school shelter, said the ministry in a statement.
"The dynamics of Syria`s internal affairs led to the decision to send diplomatic supporting staff to our embassy ... to help in the evacuation of Argentine citizens and their relatives," it said.
"In the past few weeks, Argentina`s Ambassador to Syria Roberto Ahuad made a detailed review of the Argentine community in that country, of their needs and their desire to be evacuated."
The Argentine Foreign Ministry said it would continue to monitor the situation in Syria and adopt necessary security measures to help the rest of the Argentine community, about 175 people, that decided to stay in Syria for now.
The armed conflict in Syria has lasted for one year and a half. Violent clashes between troops of President Bashar al-Assad`s government and rebel forces caused enormous losses for the country.
Last week an explosion at the headquarters of Syria`s national intelligence agency killed defence minister Dawood Rajha and his deputy Assef Shawkat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured