Argentina evacuates 25 nationals from Syria
Buenos Aires: Argentina evacuated 25 nationals from Syria on Thursday, said the Foreign Ministry.
The evacuees had been relocated to the Lebanese capital of Beirut, where they were temporarily lodged at a school shelter, said the ministry in a statement.
"The dynamics of Syria`s internal affairs led to the decision to send diplomatic supporting staff to our embassy ... to help in the evacuation of Argentine citizens and their relatives," it said.
"In the past few weeks, Argentina`s Ambassador to Syria Roberto Ahuad made a detailed review of the Argentine community in that country, of their needs and their desire to be evacuated."
The Argentine Foreign Ministry said it would continue to monitor the situation in Syria and adopt necessary security measures to help the rest of the Argentine community, about 175 people, that decided to stay in Syria for now.
The armed conflict in Syria has lasted for one year and a half. Violent clashes between troops of President Bashar al-Assad`s government and rebel forces caused enormous losses for the country.
Last week an explosion at the headquarters of Syria`s national intelligence agency killed defence minister Dawood Rajha and his deputy Assef Shawkat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past