Argentina evacuates 25 nationals from Syria
Buenos Aires: Argentina evacuated 25 nationals from Syria on Thursday, said the Foreign Ministry.
The evacuees had been relocated to the Lebanese capital of Beirut, where they were temporarily lodged at a school shelter, said the ministry in a statement.
"The dynamics of Syria`s internal affairs led to the decision to send diplomatic supporting staff to our embassy ... to help in the evacuation of Argentine citizens and their relatives," it said.
"In the past few weeks, Argentina`s Ambassador to Syria Roberto Ahuad made a detailed review of the Argentine community in that country, of their needs and their desire to be evacuated."
The Argentine Foreign Ministry said it would continue to monitor the situation in Syria and adopt necessary security measures to help the rest of the Argentine community, about 175 people, that decided to stay in Syria for now.
The armed conflict in Syria has lasted for one year and a half. Violent clashes between troops of President Bashar al-Assad`s government and rebel forces caused enormous losses for the country.
Last week an explosion at the headquarters of Syria`s national intelligence agency killed defence minister Dawood Rajha and his deputy Assef Shawkat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?