Armed group shuts oil pipeline in Libya
Tripoli: An armed group from Berber minority community shut down the Italian-led oil company ENI`s pipelines in Mellitah Saturday evening, a source said.
"About 75 armed men from Zuwara stopped Italian-led oil company ENI`s ship 7 km off the Mellitah coast, demanding to stop their activities," Xinhua quoted a source as saying.
The source said that one of the armed group got on board the ENI`s ship and met the captain who immediately surrender. No clashes were reported and the group took control of the terminals at the sea.
The action was carried out in order to push Liby`s parliament to change the constitutional draft over the voting system.
"We request that any issue related to the Libyan minority group has to be approved by all the representatives of Berber community," the source said.
Berbers demand inclusion of their language, Tamazigh, in the future Libyan constitution. The community represents about 10 percent of the Libyan population and they are mainly located in the western mountains of Libya and in the southern desert.
Their rights have been completely neglected during the former Gaddafi regime, leading them to play a fundamental role against the dictatorship in the 2011 uprising.
Berbers complain to have been dimessed from the revolutionaries comrades shortly after the end of the fightings.
In July 2013, the Berbers withdrew their representatives from the GNC to protest against marginalisation.
Berbers recently allied with other Libyan minority groups, Tebou and Tuareg, to force the review of the constituent assembly`s voting system concerning subjects related to the Libyan minority groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi