Assad warns of growing religious radicalism
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Saturday that the Syrian society will not tolerate the radical religious mentality, media reported.
The Syrian society will never accept the radical mentality, he said, adding that this dangerous mentality does not only threaten Syria but also all of the countries in the region.
Speaking during a meeting with a visiting delegation of the Anglican Church comprising clergymen from the US, Sweden, Switzerland, Lebanon and Syria, Assad said that one of the main problems regarding the west is that most of their leaders are far from comprehending the reality and nature of the region and the interests of its peoples, Xinhua reported citing local media.
He stressed that the majority of the western leaders are working to achieve their "narrow interests" which are far from the interests of their peoples and countries.
For their part, members of the delegation expressed their solidarity with Syria and rejection of any foreign intervention in the Syrian affairs, hoping that peace and security will prevail again in this country, which represents a model for cultural and religious variety.
The Syrian government has repeatedly warned of the danger of the growing terrorism not only on itself but on regional and international countries alike.
The country`s long-standing conflict has attracted thousands of foreign jihadists, including European ones, to fight alongside the rebels in Syria to topple the Assad administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- England ponder triple spin attack against Pakistan in ODI series
- FM Jaitley orders ''immediate action'' towards implementation of Bankruptcy Code
- Did Sanal Sasidharan actually try to humiliate PV Sindhu with 'spit' remark? Here's the truth..
- JNU rape case: Victim's statement could not be recorded
- Rupee rebounds from 1-month low; closes up 13 paise against USD