Assad warns of growing religious radicalism
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Saturday that the Syrian society will not tolerate the radical religious mentality, media reported.
The Syrian society will never accept the radical mentality, he said, adding that this dangerous mentality does not only threaten Syria but also all of the countries in the region.
Speaking during a meeting with a visiting delegation of the Anglican Church comprising clergymen from the US, Sweden, Switzerland, Lebanon and Syria, Assad said that one of the main problems regarding the west is that most of their leaders are far from comprehending the reality and nature of the region and the interests of its peoples, Xinhua reported citing local media.
He stressed that the majority of the western leaders are working to achieve their "narrow interests" which are far from the interests of their peoples and countries.
For their part, members of the delegation expressed their solidarity with Syria and rejection of any foreign intervention in the Syrian affairs, hoping that peace and security will prevail again in this country, which represents a model for cultural and religious variety.
The Syrian government has repeatedly warned of the danger of the growing terrorism not only on itself but on regional and international countries alike.
The country`s long-standing conflict has attracted thousands of foreign jihadists, including European ones, to fight alongside the rebels in Syria to topple the Assad administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened