Assad warns of growing religious radicalism
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Saturday that the Syrian society will not tolerate the radical religious mentality, media reported.
The Syrian society will never accept the radical mentality, he said, adding that this dangerous mentality does not only threaten Syria but also all of the countries in the region.
Speaking during a meeting with a visiting delegation of the Anglican Church comprising clergymen from the US, Sweden, Switzerland, Lebanon and Syria, Assad said that one of the main problems regarding the west is that most of their leaders are far from comprehending the reality and nature of the region and the interests of its peoples, Xinhua reported citing local media.
He stressed that the majority of the western leaders are working to achieve their "narrow interests" which are far from the interests of their peoples and countries.
For their part, members of the delegation expressed their solidarity with Syria and rejection of any foreign intervention in the Syrian affairs, hoping that peace and security will prevail again in this country, which represents a model for cultural and religious variety.
The Syrian government has repeatedly warned of the danger of the growing terrorism not only on itself but on regional and international countries alike.
The country`s long-standing conflict has attracted thousands of foreign jihadists, including European ones, to fight alongside the rebels in Syria to topple the Assad administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth