Assad’s regime ‘stopping women from fleeing Syria’
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime is reportedly trying to prevent women and children from leaving the country.
According to reports from refugees and activists, the attempt appears to be well organised and is intended to prevent men from defecting or joining the opposition.
It has led to a build-up of thousands of refugees inside the borders with Lebanon and particularly Jordan, activists claimed.
“Most families that fled to Lebanon in recent weeks escaped Syria using smuggling routes,” The Telegraph quoted Burhan Abu Saleh, a spokesman for a volunteer Syrian refugee group, as saying.
“Some have relatives who are activists, and so would risk arrest at the official border, but many went and were turned back. Every day it is becoming more difficult,” Saleh added.
The paper also quoted Rana, a refugee in Lebanon, as saying that she had been forced to pay a bribe to cross the border.
“Security forces were attacking my neighbourhood in Aleppo. I fled with nothing but I had to pay 40 dollars to be allowed to cross,” she said.
Many opposition activists outside Syria revealed that their families inside the country have been taken away or beaten up in retaliation.
Tens of thousands of refugees are continuing to try to leave, despite the current supposed ceasefire and peace plan put forward by UN envoy Kofi Annan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended