Assad’s regime ‘stopping women from fleeing Syria’
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime is reportedly trying to prevent women and children from leaving the country.
According to reports from refugees and activists, the attempt appears to be well organised and is intended to prevent men from defecting or joining the opposition.
It has led to a build-up of thousands of refugees inside the borders with Lebanon and particularly Jordan, activists claimed.
“Most families that fled to Lebanon in recent weeks escaped Syria using smuggling routes,” The Telegraph quoted Burhan Abu Saleh, a spokesman for a volunteer Syrian refugee group, as saying.
“Some have relatives who are activists, and so would risk arrest at the official border, but many went and were turned back. Every day it is becoming more difficult,” Saleh added.
The paper also quoted Rana, a refugee in Lebanon, as saying that she had been forced to pay a bribe to cross the border.
“Security forces were attacking my neighbourhood in Aleppo. I fled with nothing but I had to pay 40 dollars to be allowed to cross,” she said.
Many opposition activists outside Syria revealed that their families inside the country have been taken away or beaten up in retaliation.
Tens of thousands of refugees are continuing to try to leave, despite the current supposed ceasefire and peace plan put forward by UN envoy Kofi Annan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’