Australia hit by biggest quake in 15 years
Sydney: Australia has been hit by its biggest earthquake in 15 years, seismologists said on Saturday, rattling a remote part of the desert with local Aboriginals reporting strong shaking but no major damage.
The 6.1-magnitude earthquake had its epicentre near Ernabella, in the middle of Australia, at a shallow depth of three kilometres, Geoscience Australia said.
Ernabella is an indigenous arts hub home to about 500 Aboriginal people, some 317 kilometres southwest of the popular Alice Springs.
Seismologist David Jepsen said: "There are a number of Aboriginal communities around there and they have experienced strong shaking.”
"We`ve heard from them, people have felt strong shaking, but we haven`t heard of any damage yet, but there is that possibility."
It was Australia`s biggest quake since a 6.3-magnitude one was recorded in West Australia in 1997.
Resident Ria Nicholls told ABC radio houses shook and windows rattled for about 30 seconds with elderly people on her street terrified by late yesterday`s quake.
"My husband and I just reassured them that it would be fine and it would pass, but they were frightened," she said. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming