Australia inquires Israel about Prisoner X`s death
Melbourne: Australia has asked Israel to provide information about the death of Prisoner X, a jailed Australian-Israeli with links to spy agency Mossad.
The Prisoner X - identified by Australian media as Ben Zygier - apparently hanged himself in a prison near Tel Aviv in 2010.
Foreign Minister Bob Carr said his department was in a process of compiling a report on the case and has asked Israeli government about some information.
"We have asked the Israeli government for a contribution to that report," he was quoted as saying.
"We want to give them an opportunity to submit to us an explanation of how this tragic death came about."
Earlier, Carr ordered a review of the Zygier case in a bid to find that enough was being done by Australian consular staff and to identify any potential areas for improvement.
`The Australian` report quoted Attorney General Mark Dreyfus as saying he does not see the need for such a review.
Dreyfus said that he was confident that the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade would get to the bottom of what he described as a "family tragedy".
"I haven`t seen any need either for such a review to take place within the Attorney-General`s department," Dreyfus said.
Zygier was arrested by Israeli authorities in February 2010 and was held in a maximum security cell under a false name until he died in December 2010.
The Australian government`s handling of the Zygier case has come under scrutiny after confusion over who knew about his arrest and detention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...