Australia revises survivors of capsized boat down
Canberra: Australian Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare said on Friday the official number of survivors from the capsized asylum seeker boat has been revised down to 109.
"I`ve just been briefed by the commander of Border Protection Command, the number of survivors has now been revised down from 110 to 109," Clare told reporters on Friday.
Clare said a plane had also just flown over the area and there were more bodies in the water. "This is looking increasingly grim by the hour." But Clare said it wasn`t yet clear if the boat had really sunk.
"Some (of life jackets) are floating on their own, some of them that have people wearing them, and they have identified more bodies in the water," Clare said.
"It`s pretty rough water out there. We are still in that critical window." The minister said it appeared that all of the people were from Afghanistan.
A Border Protection spokeswoman said it was not clear why the number of survivors had been revised down but that details would change as more information became available.
Local reports said that there had been confusion from Indonesia surrounding Australia`s handling of the incident. Clare said "There`s been a number of inquiries about different boats over the last 24 hours”, but there were no other boats in trouble so far.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'