Bank of Canada apologises for `Asian woman` note
Ottawa: Following accusations of racism, Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney has apologized for the way in which the image of an Asian woman was eliminated from the initial design of the new Canadian 100-dollar bill that began circulating in November last year.
The Canadian Press, the Toronto-based national news agency, reported last week that the country`s central bank dropped the image of an Asian-looking female scientist peering into a microscope after some members of several focus groups across Canada, enlisted to review the design in 2009, commented negatively, reported Xinhua.
After a report by the market research company that conducted the focus groups, the bank replaced the image of the Asian woman on the reverse of the 100-dollar banknote with a female scientist of "neutral ethnicity", but who appears to be Caucasian.
Carney said in a statement issued Monday that the researcher depicted on the plastic polymer banknote was drawn "so as not to resemble an actual person -- therefore, the final image did not look the same as the photoshopped image shown to the focus groups".
"Efforts by the banknote designers to avoid depicting a specific individual resulted in an image that appears to represent only one ethnic group", which was not the bank`s intention, the governor explained.
"I apologize to those who were offended. The bank`s handling of this issue did not meet the standards Canadians justifiably expect of us," said Carney, who added that his bank would review its design process "in light of these events".
The reverse of the 100-Canadian-dollar bill, with features including the image of the female scientist and the image of a bottle of insulin, a treatment for diabetes, is meant to celebrate Canadian medical innovation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks