Berlusconi to run for Italy PM’s post again
Rome: Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, leader of the centre-right People of Freedom (PDL) party, said Saturday that he would run for office again next year.
"I`m in the race," he said. "Without me the PDL will lose."
Berlusconi, 76, who was convicted of tax fraud in October and sentenced to four years in jail, previously said he would not run.
However, he has threatened to bring down the Mario Monti government, which, he said, was leading Italy into a recession.
Berlusconi, forced to step down in 2011, made the statement shortly after he was found guilty of tax fraud and sentenced to four years in prison. The sentence was later reduced to one year under a 2006 amnesty law aimed at reducing prison overcrowding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened