‘Blood diamonds’ fund Mugabe’s election terror campaign
Harare: ‘Blood diamonds’ would be used to fund a new campaign of violence by Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe’s regime against his political opponents, it has emerged.
Environmental experts have blamed “utter failure” of the Kimberley Process, set up in 2003 to monitor conflict diamonds and stop them from reaching mainstream outlets, for allowing Mugabe and his allies to siphon off millions of dollars in profits from Zimbabwean diamonds, which have now gone on sale.
Anjin Investments, a Chinese-led venture in Zimbabwe in partnership with Mugabe`s government, recently announced it was now the world`s biggest diamond producer, with a stockpile of three million carats to sell.
The company, which thanked the Kimberley Process for its backing, is funding a new military college in the country, The Guardian reports.
According to the report, the Central Information Organisation (CIO), Mugabe`s secret police, is flush with cash, and has bought hundreds of vehicles and weapons from China in recent months.
Salaries have been increased and thousands of new officers are being trained, raising concerns that they will be used to intimidate voters in next year’s presidential elections.
Campaigners also claim that many tens of millions of dollars from diamond production are bypassing official channels into the pockets of corrupt politicians and businessmen.
Mike Davis, of the campaign group Global Witness, which walked out of the KP over its decision on Zimbabwe this month, said no safeguards remain over the jewellery we buy.
The “blood diamond” has been allowed to flood back on to the world markets, and in the case of Zimbabwe, would undermine all economic sanctions against Mugabe, he said.
“It takes money to pay for violence and human rights abuses and the tap had been turned off for Mugabe and his allies,” the paper quoted Davis, as saying.
“The benefits from diamond sales in Zimbabwe are going directly to Mugabe and his allies. The KP is now a fig leaf for the diamond industry,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared