Brazil launches nuclear submarine program
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff on Friday inaugurated a naval installation that will make parts for conventional submarines - and eventually a nuclear-powered submarine - under cooperation agreements signed with France in 2009.
The launch of the facility marks the first concrete step toward construction of what will be Latin America`s first submarine powered by a nuclear reactor.
"With this initiative, we join a select group of countries with access to a nuclear submarine," Rousseff said.
She stressed that the nuclear-powered watercraft that Brazil plans to bring into operation in 2023 will not be an instrument of war, but rather will aid in conflict prevention and defense.
"The defense industry is a peace industry, but above all a knowledge (industry)," Rousseff said, adding that the facility inaugurated Friday also will be a center for "technology production and diffusion".
The agreements with France cover the joint production of five submarines, one of them nuclear-propelled; 50 helicopters; a military shipyard; and a naval base, all with French technology.
The plant inaugurated Friday, the shipyard and the military base will require investment of 7.8 billion reais ($3.9 billion) through 2017 and create 9,000 direct jobs and 32,000 indirect jobs, the Defense Ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray