Calls to stop UK aid to India get shriller
London: Calls for Britain to stop sending foreign aid to India have intensified as figures show its economy grew by almost GBP 1 billion in just three months.
Latest figures show India’s GDP grew from 5.3 to 5.5 percent between April and June, according to India’s Central Statistical Office.
In contrast to India, Britain’s annual GDP fell by 0.5 percent between April and June, the Office for National Statistics revealed.
According to the Daily Express, it means India’s prosperity is increasing, with the latest growth equal to three times the GBP 280 million the UK gives India in aid annually.
India, whose total annual GDP amounts to GBP 1.1 trillion, has admitted it does not need the help calling the aid as ‘peanuts’.
It comes at a time when the British economy is struggling to grow.
Conservative MP Peter Bone said the figures proved that the time had now come for Britain to stop sending aid to India.
“I don’t think there is anyone who now thinks we should send international aid to India,” he said.
“Maybe India could send lessons to our Government on how to grow the economy,” Matthew Sinclair, of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said, adding: “Rather than us sending money to India, maybe India could send lessons to our Government on how to grow the economy.”
Earlier this month, it was also revealed how India has spent GBP 1 billion buying three warships from Russia and is planning a GBP 50-million unmanned spacecraft mission to Mars, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’